'N' - BRISTOL EAST
Axbridge station was a station on the Bristol and Exeter Railway's Cheddar Valley line and was one of the principal stations for the transport of strawberries.
The station was opened with the broad gauge line to Cheddar in August 1869 and extended to Wells in 1870. The line was converted to standard gauge in the mid- 1870s and then linked up to the East Somerset Railway to provide through services from Yatton to Witham in 1878. All the lines involved were absorbed into the Great Western Railway in the 1870s and then nationalised into the Western Region of British Railways in 1948.
The Yatton to Witham line closed to passengers and goods in 1963.
Axbridge station building, which is of a substantial Bristol and Exeter Railway design in local Mendip stone, has been used since as a youth centre and are in a good state of preservation. The station building, instead of fronting on to the railway, now faces the Axbridge bypass road, which uses the line of the old railway. Away from the station building the goods shed also survives.
The layout is built in the traditional 'N gauge' style, PECO code 55 track, PECO point motors, 12V DC operation. As a model of a prototype location we were able to visit the area and read up the details of the station in the various books on the line.
The stock we run on the layout is predominantly proprietary with some kit built rolling stock.
Modelling a prototype location brings out many stories and reminicance from people about life on the railway.