'00' - THORNBURY MRC
In 1870, the Midland Railway opened a small single platform passenger terminus in a corner of its extensive St Philips goods yard. For the next 80 years, Bristol (St Philips) was used almost exclusively for local passenger services to Bath. Situated off Midland Road, in the Old Market area of Bristol, it was more convenient for shoppers and workers than Temple Meads.
Passenger traffic survived until 1953, the station becoming increasingly dilapidated after bomb damage during the war, while the goods yard remained open until 1967.
The station featured a small turntable, photographic evidence confirming the turntable was in use up to the end. The station building was constructed of wood, in a style unlike any other of the stations on the line or other Midland stations in the area. It, and the turntable, are tucked under an impressive retaining wall, which is today the sole remaining reminder of the station and yard complex. The area on which they stood is now a small trading estate.
The model is of the passenger station and the first few sidings of the goods yard. The scenic break is provided by the, long gone, Barrow Road bridge which has been moved closer to the station than it was in real life.
The layout premise is that passenger traffic was sufficient to maintain services until the goods yard closed. Local passenger services are in the hands of a variety of tank engines, ex-LMS or BR standards, while goods traffic utilises a wide range of large and small locos appropriate to the period. Early diesels also make an appearance.
The track used is Peco code 75, laid directly on the baseboard. The turntable is a London Road Models kit.
Control is entirely DCC. This includes the locos, points and the turntable, meaning we can dispense with the control panel, and miles of wiring under the baseboards. Our operators will be delighted to explain the intricacies of DCC, but preferably not while they are trying to navigate the double slip at the entrance to the station area.