A natural progression from the Bristol to Coalpit Heath Coal Tramway was to reach Gloucester.
After many attempts the line, engineered by Brunel, was opened in 1844.
In 1846 the Bristol & Gloucester together with the Birmingham & Gloucester Railway was absorbed into the Midland Railway. Sponsored by the LNWR whose directors were horrified at the prospect of Broad gauge making it into Birmingham New Street if the Great Western Railway were to acquire the line. Hence the Midland working into Bournemouth West.
One of two junctions linked to docks on the River Severn Great Swilling was always to play second place to Berkeley Road and Sharpness.
Situated to the west of Michael-wood services on the M5 the small dock near to the town of Great Swilling was reduced to importing Potatoes and exporting Bitumen to Ireland, together with a small amount of general goods.
In the 1930’s a loop was built to avoid both here and Berkeley Road so reducing traffic to local passenger and docks freight.
Built to EM standards most of the layout is scratch built.
Rolling stock from kits and RTR conversions.
Swillings brewery is still independent, ‘The Better Pint’.
Oh, and the bridge was rebuilt.